Please raise your hand if you have said ‘I know what to do, I just don’t do it.’ This is the phrase that I hear time and time again. Though I may challenge the fact that ‘most people know what to do’ simply because there is so much misinformation circulating out there. Most people have become confused and seem to be waiting on pins and needles for the latest and greatest gimmick to come out and teach them how to eat. Is it the glycemic index, point system, low carb, no carb, omega-3 infused…it seems we have lost sight of our relationship with food. I would like to help you to develop a healthy relationship with food and turn ‘I know what to do, I just don’t do it,’ into, ‘I know what to do and this is easy!.’
My philosophy of nutrition is built on simple yet profound concepts:
- The best nutrition program for you is the nutrition program that you can follow healthfully for the rest of your life.
- The all-or-nothing approach does not work. I won’t help you become perfect. I will help you become healthier and meet your health goals.
- It’s not just about food. I treat the whole body and focus on improving all lifestyle factors including stress reduction, improved sleep and activity, practicing mindfulness and balanced nutrition.
- I will meet you where you are at, focus on what you are comfortable changing and help you improve from there.
- I will encourage you to set realistic goals and to implement change gradually. When done consistently these gradual changes will become second nature to you; healthy habits for you to live by.
In a perfect world we would have a healthy relationship with food. We would eat for nourishment, enjoy every bite and never overeat or feel guilty about the choices we make. We would eat when we were hungry, allow our connection with our bodies and mind to help direct us to the right foods and stop when we were full, not stuffed. Foods would taste pleasurable; a newfound experience with each taste and texture. We would stop to think where each food came from and choose foods for their taste, beauty and enjoyment. We would have only real food to choose from and not be constantly bombarded by the marketing of non-food products.
If you fall short of this style of eating please consider that you are only human. Sometimes it is hard enough to remember to eat, let alone take a moment to close your eyes and actually experience your food. Let’s face it, life has a habit of getting in the way. Through our work together you will learn which simple and sustainable changes will be the most effective to your long term health.
This is how I have helped hundreds of my patients meet their goals. I’ve been called, “the angel on my shoulder,”… “the best friend in my corner”… “the best thing that ever happened to me.” I change people’s lives for the better and I couldn’t possibly love my job more.